Friday, February 17, 2006

Nearer my God to Thee

I'm checking in from God's country (aka Texas) today. I am here visiting my sister and brother-in-law, as well as my two adorable nephews (they are almost 3 and almost 1).

The nearly-three-year-old has been cracking me up left and right with stuff he says. Yes, I'm going to bore you with stories. Come back next week for my slide show followed by a look through all my photo albums.

J. saw the earrings in my ears and asked if I had holes in my ears. I said that I had 5 holes. He sighed quite dramatically and said, "Oh, man!" and shook his head. "I'm sorry," he gravely said, as he patted my cheek.

When eating breakfast this morning he had decided he was no longer interested in his pancakes and was having a monologue with himself, talking about how he didn't want to eat it, wasn't going to eat it, pushing them away, etc. Then he stopped, sighed, and said, "Give it up, man!" and dug in. Ha.

Tonight I was feeding him some ham pieces and he ate one that still had some of the (what do you call it - rind? skin?) on it. He spit it out of his mouth and with big, alarmed eyes said, "Auntie Christine! That one still had a stem on it!"

And then later tonight he was serenading me with the song "If you're happy and you know it..." but he sang, "If you're happy in your nose, clap your hands!" After dancing and singing around the living room for a bit, he then ran to the couch and cried out, "Ouch! I have a cricket in my foot! Rub it!"

My littlest baby nephew isn't talking yet but I'm having a great time seeing him too. He especially loves riding up on top of my shoulders and getting snot on me. Yum.

So I'm having a fabulous time. They exhaust me but I love it. Last night we got a sitter (aren't sitters the greatest thing since sliced bread?) and my sis and bro-in-law took me to a down-home Texas "restaurant" in a lean-to shack with sawdust on the floor. The menus were hand-written (mine said "all oders come with 3 sides"), Willie Nelson was playing in the background, and the steaks were as big as...well...Texas. This morning my sister and I had girl-time and went shopping. This evening I am watching the boys while their parents get out for a date.

Photos and slide show at my place soon!

5 comments:

  1. Sweet! sounds like a blast. I love the exchange about the ham. Whaddya think these things grow on trees? But when you are that age, anything is possible.

    thanks for the update. Sounds like so much fun.
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you're happy in your nose

    ... mondegreen a go-go, that's a good one!

    Saw my nephews yesterday. I don't know where they get all that energy, but I could do with some of it.

    Thanks for the news, enjoy the rest of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the kid stories!

    The menus were hand-written (mine said "all oders come with 3 sides")

    If the food smelled funny, I hope you didn't eat it. ;)

    Gotta love those typos (and whatever the handwritten equivalent of them is). According to my local newspaper, The Pink Panter will be playing again this week at the cinema in Bardstown. Sounds awfully steamy for a PG rating, doesn't it? Curious George is at the same cinema, so I hope poor George doesn't get too close to the "panter." Curiouser and curiouser, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're enjoying Texas! It's a state that somehow grows on you O.o

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to hear the stories! Glad you're enjoying it. Good that you came whilst the weather was tolerable. Welcome to my state home!

    ReplyDelete